Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Thankful spirit

I have to say that I have been thinking about what I have to be thankful for lately as I have been fighting an attitude of loneliness and well selfishness.
Micah met me at 20. I had recently gotten saved and was struggling with many things from my past and before he ever came to salvation he was in a study group with me. We started talking one night after study group and he was so kind that I found it very easy to be open with him. So every day in class a little note would come my way and he would ask me to list three things that I was thankful for...... even as simple as a flower or the sunshine. His point was to get my mind off of the things that was hard and struggles of the past and present and teach me to see life as the cup half full.
I am so thankful for him. He started studying with Todd became a believer and then when he told me of his love waited patiently until I felt like I could get engaged and get married.
He is a source of strength, peace, guidance and has been a wonderful example of faithfulness to the Lord and to me even when that required carrying me, my wheel chair, being my nurse, holding my hand, praying with me and being so careful when I was at one of the most vulnerable points in my life.
He is an incredible dad who loves his children and is committed to raising them in the Lord and all of this when he never had an example of what a dad is much less a godly one while growing up.
In short I am so thankful to be married to my best friend and to have the privilege of walking through this life with him hand in hand.
I am most thankful that he loves the Lord Jesus to the point of being upset when I came to the chapel when we were friends because of the distraction. Because of this we did not talk or sit together at chapel and people were very surprised when we got engaged. We still laugh at their shock because obviously my family knew we were looking at becoming more then friends when he was always around and even watched the Anne of Green Gables series with my mom and I when we were all sick. He asked for my hand even though he was 27 and explained to my dad from scripture what he desired for our marriage. He has stuck by me through good and bad, health and sickness. He has kept his vows. He has/does love me.
In this time when we are looking at what we are thankful for I just wanted to encourage each of us to let others know that they are valued and that we love and are thankful for them. It is so important and one thing a man speaking shared recently was so good that people live up or down to what people think and say of them.

Let us encourage one another!!!!!!!! Thank you for what each of you do for the Lord and others. Thank you for being a part of my life.

We want to encourage people in the Lord and in godly attributes and ways. This is the way to life: abiding in Christ and in His ways alone. John 15: I have come that you may have life and have it more abundantly!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Let us choose live in that abundance!

8 comments:

HopiQ said...

Beautiful.

Thank you for the exhortation to have a heart full of thankfulness...and it does mean starting with the small things, doesn't it. What a paradigm shift when we view the world through the eyes of gratitude. We are so blessed!!!

Laurel said...

What a beautiful and encouraging reminder, Anne. I've been convicted about thankfulness lately as well, and just posted about it today myself.

Jessie said...

You got me teary eyed Anne. It is a great reminder of what a blessing Joe is to me.

Shawna said...

What a great post!

I've been enjoying the discipline of writing my gifts down each day - even the ones that seem like a burden instead of blessing.

It is an act of the will to hold open my hand and say that I will gladly accept and take whatever the Lord sees fit to hand me.

Thank you for sharing! We love you and micah, and are so very thankful for the Lord's working in your lives, and that we get to labor alongside each other here!

love the new background too! it's like stress free redecorating isn't it?

Rachel said...

I love your story, Anne. It's such a good reminder to me, to be intentionally thankful for the gift of my husband. Love and miss you!

bandanachick said...

Thank you so much for sharing. I've never heard your story, it is so neat and encouraging to hear how the Lord brings us together with our spouses, for His glory. Praise the Lord for our wonderful husbands!

Kelly said...

What a wonderful thing to be thankful for, Anne! I remember those beginning days of your relationship! Remember our conversation...Ann-with-an-E when I said you were just like Anne of Green Gables and just you wait...one day you would be calling me saying you were getting married...and yep...that's how it happened! Love you and praying for you!!

Anne said...

Kelly- that is too funny!!!!!!!!!! I remember you telling me we were like Anne and Gilbert and sure enough..... and now it has been going on nine years! So thankful you were at our wedding and a part of our lives!!!