Friday, January 26, 2007

True Rest

In Elizabeth Elliot's book Keep A Quiet Heart it has been so encouraging.
I could not read while I was sick because my eyes would hurt so badly but they are doing better now.
This part was so awesome and from the Lord because I really want this year to find myself casting my all on the Lord that the peace, rest and joy that I have longed for for so long might be part of my life. I want my children to learn that anything done apart from the Lord is futile and will not succeed. Anyway I hope this is encouraging to you.

Do you understand what is going on in the invisible realm of your life with God?Do you see how the visible things relate to the hidden Plan and Purpose? Probably not. As my second husband Addison Leitch used to say,"You can't unscrew the inscrutable." But you do see at least one thing, maybe a very little thing, that He wants you to do. "Now what I am commanding you today is not too difficult for you or beyond your reach.It is not up in heaven.... nor is it beyond the sea.... no, the word is very near you; it is in your mouth and in your heart so you may obey it" (Deut 30:11-14)
Let it suffice you, as it sufficed Mary, to know that God knows.If it's time to work, get on with your job. If it's time to go to bed , go to sleep in peace.Let the Lord of the Universe do the worrying.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Oh wow, that is so good. And it is all about obedience, isn't it? Just one step in front of the other, and forget worrying about the what-if's and what-could-have-beens in life. We CAN trust the sovereign God of the universe to have our best in mind all the time...even when it doesn't seem good to us.

That book is so encouraging!

Scott and Lynn said...

"Her ways are pleasant, and all her paths are peace."
(Prov. 3:17) This verse is about wisdom - the application of knowledge: when we fully grasp the truth that God is in control, and give up any strivings of our own, then we can really get on with what He has for us to do and have peace for the journey!

Scott and Lynn said...

Wasn't it you who used to have that quote on the mirror?

Give all your worries to God, He'll be up all night anyway! :)